Penguins!

The attention span of a hamster.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Baile Átha Cliath

Even the best things come to an end at some time. It's been almost 9 months to the day that I left Microsoft and Seattle on a cold Saturday morning in January. My travels took me to the tropical heats of Costa Rica, the gorgeous women and wines of Argentina, the rugged wilderness of Patagonia, the birthplace of Moon and Sun in Bolivia, and the mysterious marks of civilizations long gone in Macchu Picchu and Nazca. I spent some time with my family and new family members, and had the chance to catch up with old friends.... but all good things have to come to an end some time.

Since Monday I am once again what's generally considered "gainfully employed" - and it's all new and very familiar at the same time. The reason it's all new is that I'm now living in Dublin, the capital of Ireland. A country I've heard a lot about, but until my job interview never had visited before. The reason it's very familiar, is that I'm once again working as a Program Manager for Microsoft Office - I even got my old email alias back!

In order to make relocating over here easier, my company is doing a lot for me: They picked me up right at the airport, for the first month I have temporary housing in a hotel in Rathmines (just 15 from the city center on foot), a rental car (with the steering wheel on the wrong side), and they even take care of taking all my stuff (which is still packed up from the US anyways) and bringing it to my new place in Dublin ... provided I'll find one in the next 4 weeks that is.

My first impressions of Ireland are great so far! It's not only that there is a pub at every corner, but I love the feeling of actually living in a city again - the streets are full with pedestrians at night, the stores stay open late, and the weather hasn't been terrible yet either. With a bit of luck I have already found my new place: It's a small mews in Ranelagh, located in a great neighborhood in walking distance of parks, shops, bars. Mews used to be the horse houses in the back alleys of the rich family homes. They have generally about the sizes of small townhouses, and are a unique Irish type of accomodation. The one I am interested in isn't officially on the market yet, but the real estate agent that Irish Relocation Services provided to help me find a new home seems to have an "in" with the landlord, so if things go well I'll post some pictures of my home-to-be soon!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:13 AM , Blogger Kermit said...

    Hop on that, I need a place to stay when I come in November :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home